What is Usability Testing?
Usability testing is used in the design and development of a product to validate that it will be used for its intended purpose. It is used in website or software design and development to ensure that it is usable for the intended market. Its main concerns are the user’s ease of use, as well as their overall experience with the product.
When Do I Need Usability Testing?
There are two main points when usability testing will make the most impact: during the design process and after production of each version.
- During the design process, a manual and automated assessment of the design and wireframes will help to develop a more user-friendly product.
- After development, there are a couple of tests that can be run to assess the usability.
- Random Tests: this consists of making the website perform various random tasks in an effort to “break” it, or cause it to fail.
- Real Time Users Test: this test requires more planning and execution but is the most revealing about the product. It consists of the following steps:
- Design the test: create different situations where a user looks for specific information or performs a particular task
- Identify and find users: these users should be the people who are most likely to use the product.
- Run the test and have each participant report on:
- If they were able to perform the task successfully
- How easy or hard it was to complete the task
- Any annoying blocks or interruptions
- And their overall impression and feelings
All of these tests should prevent any obvious usability issues from occurring. The more testing you put your product through, the greater impact it will have on the usability of the site.
Why Do I Need Usability Testing?
Your product is ultimately meant to be used by people, resulting in users having the largest impact on your design. Therefore, usability testing will help you to work out the kinks and provide your customers with a beautifully designed, easy-to-use product.
How Standard Beagle Conducts Usability Testing?
When we perform usability testing for your product, we will:
- Review your design or idea;
- Work with you to decide what form of testing is ideal for your product;
- Conduct the testing;
- Suggest improvements based on the results;
- And help to implement improvements.
Usability testing can also be conducted on a current website to ensure that your customers can quickly and easily find the information that they seek.